Shamshad Begum’s 4th Death Anniversary
Today is April 23rd… The day when I was born and the day when one of my favorite singers i.e. Shamshad Begum passed away. On the occasion of Shamshad’s 4th Death Anniversary, a 30 minute Jaimala Program dedicated to Indian Army where Shamshad Begum selected and played some of her favorite songs is presented below –
Shamshad selected the following songs for the occasion –
1. Na bol pee pee more angana panchhi ja, ja re ja – (Dulari, 1949, Naushad)
2. Bhool gaye kiyoun de ke sahara – with Mukesh (Anokhi Ada, 1948, Naushad)
3. Naina bhar aaye neer – (Humayun, 1945, Ghulam Haider)
4. Meri neendoun mein tum, meri ankhoun mein tum – with Kishore Kumar (Naya Andaz, 1956, O.P. Nayyar)
5.Husnwaloun ki galiyoun mein jana nahin, zehar khana – (Sheesh Mahal, 1950, Vasant Desai)
6. Kahe koyal shor machaye re – (Aag, 1948, Ram Ganguly)
7. Aaja meri barbaad mohabbat kai sahare – (Anmol Ghadi, 1946, Naushad) – Sung by Noor Jehan
8. Diya jalao jagmag jagmag – (Tansen, 1943, Khemchand Prakash) – Sung by K.L. Saigal)
Out of the 8 songs selected by her, 3 were composed by Naushad (which isn’t a surprise as he was one of her favorite music directors), 6 were songs sung by herself out of which 2 were duets with Kishore and Mukesh. 2 songs sung by Noor Jehan and K.L. Saigal also made the list.
It also appears that Naina Bhar Aaye Neer from Humayun (1945) is her favorite song as she hummed this song in many of her interviews.
Also presented is the tribute by Naushad to Shamshad Begum –