Cineplot will be celebrating 80 years of Indian Talkies (1931 – 2011) for the next couple of months. As you probably know, India’s first sound film Alam Ara was released on 14th March, 1931. To mark this occasion, Cineplot will be covering many known and not so well known artistes of the last 80 years.
1. For easy identification/navigation every entry will be categorized in the following categories
2. Every encyclopedic entry will include at least 1 on the following:-
1. Selected Filmography 2. Profile 3. Interview 4. Self-portrait 5. Articles 6. Film Reviews 7. Youtube video links (if available) 8. Photo Gallery 9. Miscellaneous information
3. Keep on checking our Facebook page for all the latest updates
- The further you go back in time, the scarcer the material gets. This is mostly true for many film artistes of the 1920s (silent era), 30s, 40s and 50s. I am trying my best to gather more material from that era, digitize it and share it here. Artistes with same names are tagged with roman numerals I, II III … and in order of seniority with “I” being the most senior.
- Many film artistes of the 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s migrated to Pakistan after independence. The ones who migrated to Pakistan will be marked with symbol “P” next to them. Pakistani artistes who appeared in Indian films after partition will be marked with symbol “AP”.
- Possibility of errors can’t be ruled out even with first hand sources i.e. interviews, self-portraits, autobiographies etc because of the fading memories of artistes or perhaps deliberate(?) distortion of facts. I have noticed in some interviews, autobiographies, and articles that the information given is not correct. Therefore, I will add my own comments after the original article, if I think something is not correct. If you find any errors or want to provide further information please free to do so.
- Many artistes that will be presented here had several occupations (e.g. singer, music director, actor) or played variety of roles (e.g. child artiste, villain, hero, comedian etc) in their careers spanning several decades. Therefore, it is difficult to classify them to particular category or decade. For the purposes of easy identification, they are classified according to their most productive decade(s) and what they are most famous for professionally.